After reading many different articles about the "Not So Big House" movement, I have learned a great deal about maximizing the space. One of the biggest factors that allow a small area to seem bigger is the color of a room. The lighter the color of the walls the more open the house seems. Also, instead of putting in walls to separate rooms it makes to room feel bigger if you just use a framed opening to separate them. This way there is a definite separation from room to room and the room feels like it is bigger than it actually is.
The ideals that I got from the "Not So Big House" movement greatly influenced how I made changes to my house. Instead of putting a wall going down both sides of the stairs, I only put the wall on one side and made the other side open to the living room with a railing, so it gave the living room a more open feel. Also, instead of separating the dining room and kitchen with a wall I decided to separate them with a bar so that they felt more open.
No comments:
Post a Comment